TANYA and True embodied kindness
Tanya is a certified (blue belt) Nia Technique teacher, trained teacher in Mindful Self-Compassion and Mindfulness for youth and adults, certified Yoga teacher, and former co-founder of the Integrative Stress Management Program (ISMP).
As a facilitator at ISMP from 2013-2020, Tanya taught mindfulness, stress management, and mindful self-compassion to teachers with the Simcoe County Elementary Teachers Federation, social workers from the Canadian Mental Health Association and York Support Services Network, correctional and parole officers with Mindful Justice, and psychologists with the Waypoint Centre for Mental Health.
Tanya continues to run workshops for teachers, medical health professionals and the general public.
Tanya has completed training with the following organizations:
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) Training with Founder Kristen Neff PhD and Christopher Germer PhD www.centerformsc.org
Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) Teacher Training with Kristen Neff,PhD/Chris Germer,PhD www.centerformsc.org Batavia, NY
Mindful Self Compassion (MSC) Trained Teacher Certificate, Completion of 10 Online Conselltations With The Centre for Mindful Self Compassion www.centerformsc.org
Making Friends With Yourself (MFY) Mindful Self Compassion For Youth/Young Adults www.centerformsc.org
Mindfulness Ambassador Council Adult/Youth Initiative Teacher Training with Founder Theo Koffler www.mindfulnesswithoutborders.org
Vipassana Course – 10, 5, 4 Day Silent meditation Course with S.N. Goenka Ontario Vipassana Centre
Yearly 4 day Silent Retreats at True North Insight www.truenorthinsight.org
Mindfulness-Based Chronic Pain Management course with Founder Dr Jackie Garner-Nix www.neuronovacentre.com
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body Medicine Teacher Training with founder Jon Kabat-Zinn, Phd and Saki Santorelli, EdD, Ma www.umassmed.edu
White Belt Nia Training, Blue Belt Nia Training www.nianow.com
- Certified Yoga Teacher 2006
- Registered Dental Hygienist 1994-2012
And most importantly, Tanya is the mother of three thriving young men, auntie of two creative and inspiring young men, and sister, daughter, and granddaughter of strong, compassionate women!
About tek trainings
(TRUE – EMBODIED – KINDNESS) trainings:
Somatic Practice + Interoception practice
+ self kindness / self-compassion practice
= true embodied kindness (TEK)
- Somatic Practices are body based movement practices.
- Interoception is our body’s internal sensory system. It is our ability to “internally-sense”. This is also called “neuroception”. It is our body’s ability to internally sense and feel discomfort/pain, thirst/hunger, tension/ease, and thoughts/emotions.
- Interoception can become compromised by negative conditioning. This conditioning can come in the form of verbal cues (e.g., only babies cry) resulting in a shame in expressing deep pain with tears. Other verbal cues such as “You’re not sick, you’re just faking it” result in a distrust of our somatic (body) symptoms. It can also be compromised due to trauma and toxic stress.
- Interoception (sensing our inner body and emotions) and somatic practices (activities that develop a better sensing system) can improve our connection with what is going on inside ourselves. Somatic practices such as mindfulness meditation (concentration brain exercise), mindfulness in dancing (Nia), and mindfulness in slow movement (Yin Yoga) support our awareness of what is happening in our bodies.
- Thankfully we have something called “befriending self” – having a kind, respectful partnership with our whole being. This is also called “self kindness”. When our inner kindness meets our inner suffering and stays caring, this is called “self-compassion” .
- Self kindness and self compassion helps with the “inner critic”.
- The inner critic causes us to doubt our human self worth. Instead, we can tenderly embrace ourselves with kindness, compassion, and an open heart for all the heartache that we have endured which comes with being human.
Be-friending our body, mind, heart, emotions, through:
Mindful Self-Compassion Courses ~ Mindful Self Compassion Yoga ~ Mindful Self Compassion Dance, Nia
“What if loving ourselves was automatic?” ~MSC COURSE
Every action of self kindness rewires the brain.
May I be a source of compassion and kindness and hope.